ToolsLearnBytesTax Q&AGet Started

Tax Hack 106: 4 ways your family can help in Income Tax Saving.

Tax Hacks: 4 ways in which family can help saving tax

Hey there,

I hope you and your family are doing okay. Though Lockdown has halted all Economic Activity, on the bright side, families are spending lots of time together. This lead many to realize that Maslow’s Hierarchy of needs is indeed outdated. To simplify, most people can do with basic amenities and still be happy. What if we add some ganache on the cake? How about we tell you 4 ways in which you can save on your Income Tax.

We figured that no one will mind some extra cash during times where businesses are struggling. So we dig our heels for you and are back with Tax Hack 106 for you. You’re Welcome!

Pay Rent to your Parents

If you live with your parents and happen to be a salaried individual, you can save on taxes by paying rent to your parents. With this measure, you will be able to reap the exemption benefits of the House Rent Allowance(HRA). If by chance you don’t receive any HRA, you can still claim a Deduction u/S 80GG. The USP here is that your parents can claim a flat 30% of the annual rent as a deduction for maintenance expenses. However, the property has to owned by your parents and you cannot be the co-owner of the property.

P.S. don’t worry if you are a novice with HRA Calculations, we got your back. We’ve built an HRA Calculator Tool to ease your burden.

Jointly Owned Property with Spouse

In case you are planning to buy some property, it is advisable to make your spouse a co-owner as it has multi-faced benefits. Not only you’ll enhance your loan eligibility but also enjoy tax benefits for interest on borrowed capital and the payment of the principal amount u/s 80C. Apart from that, you and your spouse could reap tax benefits on Capital Gains as well. If you and your spouse decide to buy a property from the capital gains within the mandated time, in that case, the taxable amount shall be reduced as per Section 54. Also if Rental Income accrues from the property, you and your spouse shall be taxed as per your respective stake in the property.

Invest Money in the name of your Parents.

If your parents happen to be in a lower Income Bracket than you, it could be a potential Tax Saving opportunity for you. In order to do so, one could gift a certain amount to your parents as this gifted amount will not attract any gift tax on their hand. One could then invest this money in the names of their parents in low-risk investment options like a Fixed Deposit. This measure makes a bit more sense if your parents are senior citizens. As generally Fixed Deposits tend to reap better interest rates for senior citizens as compared to younger people.

P.S. Did you know you can avail Tax Benefits while investing in FD? Learn more about it- Tax Saving FD(Fixed Deposit): Features and Eligibility

Set off Long Term Equity Losses

We have previously talked about Tax Loss Harvesting before. Tax Loss Harvesting is when an Individual set off his realized losses again realized profit, hence bringing the net taxable amount down. If you have a Long Term Equity Loss, and you still haven’t paid the Securities Transaction Tax(STT), don’t rush to pay it anytime soon. In such a scenario, you could still save some tax on it.

To do so, you must sell these shares at the market price and provide simultaneous delivery. Drumroll….Que in the family members. You could potentially sell the shares to a family member via a cheque at the incumbent market price. This will enable you to adjust the Long Term Equity Loss with Long Term Gains.

There we have it, another handful of tips to save on your Income Tax. If you found this blog informative and insightful, we have more Tax Hacks that might ignite interest. Do check them out.

Until Next time.

Tweet Us--Like Us--Join Us


facebook twitter

Got Questions? Ask Away!

  1. Hey @sushil_verma

    There are a wide range of deductions that you can claim. Apart from Section 80C tax deductions, you could claim deductions up to INR 25,000 (INR 50,000 for Senior Citizens) buying Mediclaim u/s 80D. You can claim a deduction of INR 50,000 on home loan interest under Section 80EE.

  2. Hey @Dia_malhotra , there are many deductions that you can avail of. Your salary package may include different allowances like House Rent Allowance (HRA), conveyance, transport allowance, medical reimbursement, etc. Additionally, some of these allowances are exempt up to a certain limit under section 10 of the Income Tax Act.

    For eg,

    • Medical allowance is exempt up to INR 15,000 on a reimbursement basis.
    • Children education allowance is exempt up to Rs. 200 per child per month up to a maximum of two children.
    • Conveyance allowance is exempt up to a maximum of Rs. 1600 per month.

    Tax on employment and entertainment allowance will also be allowed as a deduction from the salary income. Employment tax is deducted from your salary by your employer and then it is deposited to the state government.

  3. The benefit Section 80EEB can be claimed by individuals only. An individual taxpayer can claim interest on loan of an electric vehicle of up to INR 1.5 lacs u/s 80EEB. However, if the electric vehicle is used for the purpose of business, the vehicle should be reported as an asset, loan should be reported as a liability and the interest on loan can be claimed as a business expense irrespective of the amount. (We have updated the article with the changes).

    Thus, if you have a proprietorship business, you should claim interest amount as a business expense only if the vehicle is used for business purpose. However, if it is used for personal purpose, you can claim deduction of interest u/s 80EEB in your ITR since you would be reporting both personal and business income in the ITR (under your PAN).

    As per the Income Tax Act, the deduction under Section 80EEB is applicable from 1st April 2020 i.e. FY 2020-21.

  4. Hey @Sharath_thomas , we have updated the content according to the appropriate assessment year. Thanks for the feedback. :slight_smile:

Continue the conversation on TaxQ&A

95 more replies


Scroll to Top Quicko